Drunk Customs officer stabs man at relaxation centre


A Nigerian Customs officer, identified simply as Mr. Pereto, on Tuesday stabbed a graduate on his stomach and leg after a brief argument at a popular relaxation centre in Yenagoa.

The suspect who is said to be currently serving in Katsina State, was allegedly under the influence of alcohol before entering the game centre to play Snooker.

Trouble started when he was told to pay and wait his turn as others had already booked to play. In drunken rage, he seized the white and black balls of the game, and announced that he was a Military man who could deal ruthlessly with anyone who stood in his way.

An eyewitness told Morning Mail: “We were playing snooker, when he came in. Tough he was friendly with us at first, we noticed that¬† his tongue was colour blue and reeked of alcohol.”

The witness who pleaded anonymity addeda “We pleaded with him to return the ball, but he refused. That was all I know before we heard noise that he was killing someone.”

The victim, a graduate of River State Polytechnic, simply identified as Mr. Anthony Amangala,¬† said: “I was only pleading with him to return the ball when he seized the other ball. We tried to talk to him because the people were waiting to play but rather he used the seized ball to hit my nose which made me bleed profusely.

“The people even told me to leave him and go get my self treated since I was bleeding, and I had left him, but the next thing I heard was a loud shout from people telling me to run that he was coming with a dagger, I couldn’t run since he was close, and the next thing was a stab on my stomach.

“He brought it out after the first stab and wanted to stab again but I pushed his hands before he stabbed my leg. If not for the people I would have been killed and left in my pool of blood.

“I was left unconscious on the floor and the next thing I woke to find myself in the hospital with severe pains”

Another eye witness, who was at the clinic, also told Morning Mail that the victim had been restless since Monday and prayed that he did not have an internal injury.

The counsel to the accused, Mrr Nwanchukwu Peter, in a phone interview said that the incident was a civil matter between two adults, adding that his client wasn’t under the influence of alcohol but was only defending himself.

When contacted the spokesperson of the Bayelsa state police command, DSP Asimin Butswat, said the incident hadn’t been reported in his office. He pledged to reach Ekeki police station where the accused was being detained at press time.

Leave a Reply