Will the Federal Government trigger a process for the extradition of former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, or not?
The answer seems hanging in the air.
While the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) gave assurance to that effect, President Muhammadu Buhari’s Special Assistant on Social Media Lauretta Onochie says the British legal system will not allow it.
According to her, the British Government prosecutes people for offences committed against it only, not other countries. Alison-Madueke’s alleged loot is an offence against Nigeria, not Great Britain.
Citing judicial pronouncements in the James Ibori trial, the president’s aide tweeted on Tuesday morning that those agitating for the repatriation of Alison-Diezani must be suffering from selective amnesia.
Onochie tweeted: “It appears that some of us especially those who are not good or are selective at remembering d past, are also not willing to use Google. The United Kingdom does not charge foreigners for crimes committed in other countries. They charge them for crimes committed against UK”
She tweeted further: “In Ibori’s case in d UK, I was in court for d Judgement and the Judge made it clear that his sentence was for crimes committed in d UK.
“The Judge added, “It’s my hope that when you return to Nigeria, you’ll be charged for d crimes you committed against d people of Delta”.’
A group, Our Mumu Don Do, led by renowned entertainer Charles Oputa began a rally in Abuja on Monday urging the Federal Government to activate processes that should lead to the extradition of the former Minister.
The group took its rally to the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) where they were addressed by the commission’s secretary, Emmanuel Aremo.
Aremo said, “We have an MOU with the British Government, we have bilateral agreements on how to repatriate citizens and that is being followed. The Ministry of Justice is taking steps and we are also taking steps but one thing I will let you know is that we are not relenting in our efforts.”
Charly Boy had said that the protest became imperative because the Federal Government was only seizing properties and funds from Diezani without pursuing her trial.
He said: “I am here to give support and ginger the youths who have finally decided to wake up from their docility and their slumber. We are here to force a discussion on this war on corruption. Is it only being fought on the pages of newspapers and why haven’t we had a conviction so far and why haven’t the guilty been punished so far?
“So, I am here to join the exceptional Nigerian youths to ask questions and hold the government accountable to the promises that have been made.
“If they cannot get a conviction for Diezani there (in London), let them bring her back home. Our eyes are on the Diezani matter and I am hoping that it won’t be business as usual.”
Onochie’s tweets are reproduced below:
1. It appears that some of us especially those who are not good or are selective at remembering d past, are also not willing to use Google